Sunday 25 March 2012

Farmoor Reservoir :: 19 March 2012

Well, it had come to that time of year; the annual car service and MOT. Unfortunately the boot release was also playing up and so it would not be a short visit. The garage is in Botley and so it was an early start at work followed by a lunchtime exit. By 12:30 I had dropped off the car and was on on my way for a stroll round Farmoor Reservoir. Not only a relaxing way to spend the afternoon but it turned out to be stunning weather too.

On arrival there was the matter of having lunch (packed), sorting out the car insurance and finally the car breakdown cover. This out of the way, I could chillax.

I've only ever walked around the Farmoor I on previous visits and so when I got to the far end I decided to drop down and have a look at the Pinkhill Meadow and hide - beautiful. As soon as I left the reservoir the number of birdcalls increased substantially, led by a pair of Chiffchaffs - my first sighting for the year. Must do this again with the family.

I was informed that there was a little gull out on the water amongst the black headed gulls but if it was I couldn't identify it.

ChiffchaffA relaxing afternoon which yielded 29 sightings, including: coot, mallard, black headed gull, mute swan, cormorant, gadwall, tufted duck, pied wagtail, carrion crow, great crested grebe, chiffchaff, wren, reed bunting, chaffinch, robin, magpie, blue tit, canada goose, rook, woodpigeon, dunnock, long tailed tit, moorhen, redshank, grey heron, blackbird, great tit, bullfinch and whitethroat.

When I got back to the garage the news wasn't too bad. Boot fixed, car serviced and MOT done with no reported problems. Not cheap but no more than quoted. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment