Monday 2 July 2018

Grimsbury Reservoir :: 02 July 2018

As my brother might say, "it is a duck". But another find for @987jonty at Grimsbury Reservoir today. Mandarin duckThis WhatApp group is working really well but @987jonty is so prolific he may start charging for the service!

I met @987jonty on my way onto the reservoir and we talked briefly of his conversion to butterflies for the summer season. Fortunately there are crossover areas and he still frequents the reservoir. As I went round I missed the little ringed plover that had been mentioned but saw what appeared to be a juvenile grey wagtail and a juvenile lapwing.

As I was without a camera, I went back just after 8pm and found the Mandarin duck (#130) on the bank, sleeping. At the other end the sea cadets were out on the water Mandarin duckbut it didn't seem to have driven the visitor away. As some cyclists past (may have been the dog walkers behind), the mandarin took to the water once more and gave me the opportunity for some photos.

Sightings (15) included: black-headed gull, canada goose, carrion crow, great black-backed gull, grey heron, grey wagtail, jackdaw, kingfisher, lesser black-backed gull, magpie, mallard, mandarin duck, mute swan, pied wagtail and rook.

No comments:

Post a Comment