Sunday 1 May 2016

RSPB Otmoor :: 30 April 2016

After my successful trip to BOS Balscote Quarry I headed off to RSPB Otmoor. Sedge WarblerI was slightly worried that I should be making a trip somewhere else as I might just see the same as when there a few weeks earlier. I needn't have worried. As I arrived I had 9 buzzards climbing in the thermals, with a red kite mischievously mobbing each of them in turn.

Picked up my first lesser whitethroat there this year along the path to the feeder, not much had changed. But a soon as I stepped onto the main path into the RSPB site there was a noticeable increase in warbler activity. Soon spotted reed warbler and then sedge; constantly showing and calling here and all the way round to the second screen. The sun was out and so were the grass snakes.

Grasshopper WarblerJoined a couple of guys who were waiting for a grasshopper warbler to show; a great tick for me as I never seem to be able to find them. Showed regularly through the afternoon.

There were so many sedge warbler on view that you had to concentrate to make sure you didn't overlook a calling warbler, such as the many whitethroat, lesser whitethroat, willow warbler and chiffchaff. Appears I missed a garden warbler from yesterday's reports.

Grass snakeThe noise coming from the conservation area beyond the second screen was just deafening. I was lucky enough to catch sight of another life tick as it trailed behind a flock of canada geese, landing out of view.

I needn't have worried, a great day out and perhaps I can get to Summer Leys sometime soon.

Species noted (36): chiffchaff, blue tit, rook, great tit, mallard, coot, lapwing, whitethroat, canada goose, reed bunting, wren, goldfinch, chaffinch, pheasant, coot, reed warbler, grasshopper warbler, sedge warbler, willow warbler, tufted duck, carrion crow, greylag goose, mute swan, mallard, blackcap, great-crested grebe, common tern, buzzard, red kite, #####, cormorant, magpie, grey heron, marsh harrier, shoveler and goldfinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment