Monday 1 May 2017

Spiceball Park & Grimsbury Reservoir :: 26 April 2017

At lunchtime I noted on Twitter that Colin Wilkinson had found a wood warbler in Spiceball Park that morning, in the same location as last year. Wood WarblerDespite not having binoculars or camera I thought I'd better have a look in case it moved on. I met @987jonty in the car park as I arrived and he confirmed it was still there and singing. Feeling positive I headed straight there; as I got to the footbridge I was joined my Mike Pollard, carrying scope and bins. Despite searching for 30mins we couldn't catch sight and only occasionally heard a brief call. Had to go back to work.

Wood WarblerAt dinner I looked on Twitter and it appeared that the bird was seen later in the afternoon and so I headed back. I met Mike coming the other way and he pointed me to the others, already in attendance (@987jonty, @grimsbury_birds, @dwatsonbirder). Sure enough the wood warbler #111 showed but mostly in dense bush or high in the trees. A life tick though!

Still short of a yellow wagtail I popped onto the reservoir as there were local reports. No luck though. Happy regardless.

Sightings (22) included: carrion crow, blackbird, blackcap, chiffchaff, common sandpiper, goldfinch, great tit, greenfinch, jackdaw, linnet, little ringed plover, long-tailed tit, magpie, mallard, pied wagtail, magpie, rook, song thrush, swallow, willow warbler, woodpigeon and wood warbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment