Monday 6 September 2021

Grimsbury Reservoir :: 03 September 2021

And it was morning. I woke early and decided to get ready for work and drop in on Grimsbury Reservoir on the way to work - John Friendship-Taylor has found common redstart there the previous weekend and both he and Gareth Blockley had been reporting all week.

I set off along the western side which seems to be the favourite for perching birds and very soon could see both John and Gareth ahead. My phone rang and it was a WhatsApp call from Gareth to let me know that there was a wheatear feeding in the fringe of the newly mown bank about halfway between - needless to say, I hadn't spotted it and it was good he'd thought to call. I stopped and scanned with my bins but before I could locate it, it took to the wing and flew a bit closer but down near the perimeter fence around the reservoir. I caught glimpses of it as it fed but too soon it took to the wing again and flew over the fence and passed me - now protected from view by the remaining grass growing up the fence. Gareth and John made their way along and we chatted for a short while before John announced he'd have to go and Gareth that he was going to do another circuit. They mentioned that they had seen the redstart again and it had been quite showy, briefly landing on the perimeter fence. I made for the spot they'd been standing and opted for a sit down on the bench - if I stayed still the bird may afford me a view perched on the fence.

A few people out for an early walk passed by and very soon after one had passed the redstart appeared on the fence to my left. I moved closer and managed to get a couple of photos before another couple of walkers came level with me - to my surprise they stopped and waited until I took another couple of photos and thanked them for their patience. As they stepped on the bird flew off and out of sight.

Common restart
Common redstart

I returned to the bench and in just a few minutes the wheatear appeared on the fence having been chased to this corner by a pied wagtail. It paused briefly, hopped onto another perch then dropped down and away.

Wheatear
Wheatear

Pleased with the morning I was just thinking of moving on when the redstart came from my right and landed on the perimeter fence. I went to take a photo and the damn thing took off - however I was lucky, and it only went a few feet and landed still in view. I snapped off a couple more photos before it left into the tree where I got another photo of it perched. Wow.

Common redstart
Common redstart
Common redstart

It really was time to get to work and I paused enroute only long enough to record the ringed plover feeding on the edge of the water.

Ringed plover
Ringed plover

No comments:

Post a Comment