Friday 10 September 2021

Pitsford Dam :: 05 September 2021

I rose late and had a leisurely breakfast finding nothing on the message boards. I had thought of visiting Otmoor to see the little stint reported the previous day; on checking there had been no report at the end of Saturday and the bird on Pitsford Dam had also gone AWOL.

At about 11.00am I picked up a report that the Pitsford little stint had returned so dropped everything and jumped in the car, parking in Brixworth Country Park. It didn't take long to walk from the car park to the dam and I could see a small bird along the water's edge - it turned out to be a pied wagtail, as did the next three or four birds. I was getting to the valve tower when two birds came into view, and they turned out to be the target little stint and a ringed plover. I stopped and watched as the two fed in the green algae - they seemed to have no issue in finding food and fed continuously.

Little stint
Little stint
Little stint
Little stint
Little stint
Ringed plover

I monitored the other birds but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary so started back. With only a few tens of meters to go I spotted a bird on the edge which turned out to be a juvenile yellow wagtail. A short visit but a year tick of little sting - what a little stunner!

Yellow wagtail

No comments:

Post a Comment