Wednesday 1 September 2021

Wormleighton, Boddington & Hinton :: 24-27 August 2021

Back at work for a full week and so I found myself more restricted in popping out for a spot of birding. Despite this, a report from Dylan Parry-Davies of spotted (and crucially) pied flycatchers at Wormleighton spurred me to action. I finished at work promptly and shot off there "on the way home". I was joined by Kevin Heath who was already out and about at Balscote Quarry. In only a few steps we found our first couple of spotted flycatchers on overhead wires and atop a tree. I took a couple of photos, but the light was quite harsh and much of the time the birds were in silhouette. We circled round to get views from the other side.

Spotted flycatcher
Spotted flycatcher

We pressed on to see if we could locate the pied flycatcher and ended up down at the water treatment works seeing great spotted woodpecker and some warblers on the way. We returned to the top of the lane by the church and walked through the village but still couldn't find anything of note. We decided that the only chance was where we had previously seen the spotted flycatchers and when we connected with them again, we could see up to five. We watched on but had no joy in finding the pied but did enjoy both goldcrest and nuthatch in the trees opposite; the nuthatch a particularly bright bird. As we waited, we were watched by a red kite from a tree beyond the wall and when we eventually gave up, a hobby went through chasing various hirundines.

Red kite

The folllowing day had reports of a black-necked grebe at Boddington Reservoir, unfortunately too late for a visit before dark. I decided that I'd have a go first thing in the morning but arrived a little late at around 6.30am, by which time a number of fisherman had already set up - we will never know if it stayed overnight. While looking I came across both common and lesser whitethroat by the dam and a flushed a female wheatear from the dam itself. Other than these the reservoir was quiet and I headed off to work.

Wheatear

At work on Friday I read that John Friendship-Taylor had a fruitful visit to Hinton Airfield in the morning which included finding a whinchat, a redstart and 2 wheatear. I packed up work at 5.00pm and dropped into the airfield on the way home. On my circuit I found John's two wheatear but couldn't see or hear the redstart or whinchat. The redstart may have followed him to Grimsbury Reservoir as he then reported one there. He is on a bit of a roll with these species.

Wheatear

As I continued my search about half a dozen parachutists departed their plane and circled around, taking it in turn to drop onto the grass close to the runway. A couple of them made very dramatic turns before swooping to the ground - one gave me a fright as they pulled up at the very last moment and delivered a stylish landing - show-off!

Parachute 1
Parachute 2
Parachute 3

No comments:

Post a Comment