Wednesday 3 November 2021

IBM Warwick :: 25 October 2021

I was meant to be on holiday as her indoors had managed to reach the school half term break. I had some work that I had to complete before the end of the month so for the morning had to go into the office. While I was there, news started to emerge late morning that a hoopoe had appeared at the IBM building in Warwick. I finished the work I’d needed to complete, sent the emails communicating the results, packed up and headed home. I had already eaten lunch, so I collected my camera and made for the advertised location in Warwick; it was easy to find and I soon joined three others watching the bird. It was on the grass but as I approached it worked its way to the far edge of the lawn in front of the reception area. In a few moments it took off and flew up to perch on railings on the edge of the flat roof. As it landed it cocked up the feathers on its head - I'd not seen this behaviour when I saw this species in Adderbury in 2020.

Hoopoe
Hoopoe

The bird then spent the next hour feeding on the far lawn and perimeter path interrupted by occasional spells of preening on the railing along the edge of the flat roof.

Hoopoe
Hoopoe

I had great views of the hoopoe flashing its head feathers and tossing grubs into the air. I had alerted Dan and Trish Miller of the bird's location and heard that they were on their way. I couldn't stay for their arrival as I was planning to spend a few days away with my wife and had to get home to start organising and packing. What a cracking bird to start my week off with.

Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Hoopoe
Hoopoe

No comments:

Post a Comment