Monday 28 March 2022

Lower Heyford :: 27 March 2022

We'd been planning a family outing for Mother's Day afternoon, but my wife had developed a headache and decided to have a lie down to see if it would pass. I went to check on her to find she was asleep - a good sign. The girls were going to feed cake when she woke, so I decided to take a walk myself as the plan was almost certainly going to change. Kevin Heath had been out for a walk around Lower Heyford and had spotted and photographed corn bunting - I decided that I'd like to catch up with them as I hadn't seen them since mid-2021.

I parked at the end of the footpath and made my way to the spot the birds are most regular; there were flocks of linnet, a few meadow pipits and yellowhammer. As I reached the likely area, I could immediately see a corn bunting on the top of a bush - that didn't take long! I took some photos and then relocated as the bird had done so already. In many ways this was a good result as the individual now perched in the open and was singing, giving me an even better opportunity for a photo.

Corn bunting
Corn bunting
Corn bunting
Corn bunting

Behind the hedge there was another singing bird and yet another two atop the tree beyond.

Corn bunting

I decided to make my way along the footpath spotting three hares in the field to my left, and skylarks rising from both sides of the path. There were two grey partridge in a hollow but none in the field we had found some last year - although they had been there when Kev visited. As I made my way back to the car, I spotted another hare and a further two corn bunting.

Brown hare
Brown hare

Returning to the original area, two corn bunting showed again, most likely two of the original four. In no time I was home and sharing a cake baked by the girls, and soon after that they had dinner on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment