Tuesday 12 July 2022

North Oxon :: 09 July 2022

It had been a while since I’d had a chance to get out for a spot of birding, partly due to the rest of the family contracting Covid, but also because of that disgusting four lettered word – ‘work’. I woke early and decided to make my way over to some local little owls and check on their progress - still a little early perhaps but it won't be long before the juveniles are out and branching. I was solo as my birding friend was off to Norfolk on a mission while I had a lunch appointment in Cheltenham.

I arrived just after sunrise and found a single adult little owl ahead of me and working along the tops of the poles beside the path. I took a record shot, but it was against the rising sun and there was no point in adapting any settings - hopefully I'd get better views soon.

I followed the bird which returned to its tree where it perched on the lower branches, deep in shade - again I took a few record shots but hoped that the bird would play ball and show well. It hopped along the branches, stopped briefly then flew off and up the field. It was then about 30 minutes of watching the tree and waiting - at this point Adrian Tysoe arrived and as he made his way along the track a male sparrowhawk cut across the top of the crops and away. We chatted for a while until a little owl appeared on the top of a pole further along the track. It then left its perch and returned to the tree, again low and deep in shade.

We thought we'd just be watching this motionless owl until it suddenly decided to alight to the upper branches and perch in full view - this is what we wanted! As the morning had passed the cloud had started to roll in and replace what had been a pure blue sky - am I becoming a 'togger'? I managed to get a couple of photos as the LO moved onto a bare branch and was quite happy with the shot in flight.

Little owl
Little owl
Little owl

This was much more like it but as the morning went on, we were only ever able to see a single owl perhaps suggesting that the female is still brooding the young - maybe things will change in a week or two. As we enjoyed the views given we observed some commotion along the hedgerow and spotted a female sparrowhawk fly off with prey in its clutches - a small bird if I'm not mistaken. We also had two grey herons and a little egret over, plus a great spotted woodpecker which came to our tree a couple of times.

A good morning’s birding but perhaps I'll try again soon and see if I can catch up with the whole family. I was back home for breakfast by 8.00am.

Little owl
Little owl
Little owl
Little owl
Little owl

No comments:

Post a Comment