Friday 16 September 2022

Hams Hall, Ladywalk Reserve :: 14 September 2022

The working week was living up to my fears and a couple of evenings had already been taken up with preparing assets for projects the following day. However, on Wednesday evening I wasn't scheduled to do any work and so after a Conference Call to end the working day, I jumped in the car and headed for the Ladywalk Reserve.

Ladywalk is owned by E.on and is leased to, and under management of, the West Midland Bird Club - I joined earlier this year but haven't visited this reserve before. The reserve is located behind the Hams Hall Distribution Park and sits in a loop formed by the River Tame. The bird I was looking for though was located behind the Distribution Depot where, for the last few days, it has been working its way along the fence line. A grassy footpath runs between the main tarmac path coming over the bridge and River Tame, and the Depot - it is from here the views have been reported. My birding buddy Kevin Heath had ventured there in the morning with his wife and had seen the bird so I was armed with all the details I needed - he'd also sent me a photo.

I approached the area finding two birders already in place - one had seen the wryneck just 10-15 minutes before I arrived, the other hadn’t yet. The chap shared that he had managed a photo through the leaves as the bird sat on a low branch of a tree immediately ahead - I didn't like him already 😜 - lucky chap!

I joined and waited - we occasionally strolled up and down the path looking for movement but only saw passing tits and finches. After about 30 minutes one of the chaps left saying he would try again tomorrow and then the guy that had seen the bird earlier also departed. And so, there was just me. It wasn't looking good.

After only 5 minutes there was some movement to my right and then the wryneck popped up into a leafy tree right in front of me (and where it had shown for the chap earlier) giving an opportunity for a couple of photos. In moments it moved left and I tried to follow but after a couple of brief stops and without further photos, it vanished. I searched up and down for another 15 minutes or so without success and as the light started to go, I made my way back to the car parked on Edison Road. I turned the corner and could see the car ahead, when a small rat ran across in front of me presumably enjoying the bounty of small apples being dropped from a tree overhead. I also presume there were more rats given the rustling in the bushes beside the pavement. I jumped into the car and made for home – I arrived home to find that the girls had eaten dinner but my wife hadn't yet returned from tennis - so I didn't even need to trade in any brownie points after my detour home!

Wryneck
Wryneck
Wryneck

No comments:

Post a Comment