Thursday 27 October 2022

Balscote Quarry :: 25 October 2022

Reports had been coming in since the weekend that a Dartford warbler had been spotted at Balscote Quarry - a call had been heard that suggested a few days before but Iain Brown laid eyes on it for a definitive ID. Mike Pollard and Edwin Barson had both managed great photos of the bird and so I decided to take my lunch at the reserve and see if I could find it.

Overhead I had my first fieldfare of the autumn and in the hedge near the advertised spot goldcrests fed. I listened and watched eventually hearing a low partial sub-call from the bird but it took a moment to locate the bird low in a bush. It was difficult to get anything other than a record shot until it hopped forward, preened briefly, and turned to depart. Fortunately for me it didn't fly too far, landing on a small tree sapling and facing in my direction. I got s couple of photos, one out of focus and one which I was chuffed with.

The bird then alighted and flew behind and away. A short encounter but thrilling.

Dartford warbler
Dartford warbler
Dartford warbler

Year List:  224
BirdTrack Record:  https://app.bto.org/birdtrack/pubcon/shared?subId=SUB46124395

No comments:

Post a Comment