Monday 4 April 2016

Farmoor Reservoir :: 03 April 2016

Back from holiday and I needed to drop into Eynsham as I had stupidly forgotten to return some thermocouples from a recent trip to the USA. Reports of red-necked grebe, great northern divers, sandwich tern, rock pipit on the causeway and the presence of a few swallows drew me down to the reservoir.

Flies are starting to swarm again and this has had a Red-necked grebenoticeable effect on the number of fisherman on the banks. F2 was heavy with sailing boats and also some fisherman in boats so after the causeway, where I found the red necked grebe, I went down to Shrike Meadow. Nothing significant seen here but did spot my first sandmartin of the year. Round F1, dropping into Pinkhill Reserve hide, there was still not much of note.

An enjoyable walk and plenty to see. Unfortunately not enough time to manage F2.

Looking at reports I seem to have missed an osprey c18:10-19:04 fishing over F2 which then flew off N/W. I suppose it wasn't going to drop in with the number of boats I encountered and by then I was tucking into a Sunday roast. Damn in any case.

Today's species (31) included: starling, cormorant, great crested grebe, mallard, little grebe, pied wagtail, black headed gull, red necked grebe, tufted duck, kestrel, sandmartin, magpie, greylag goose, carrion crow, coot, long tailed tit, blue tit, chiffchaff, robin, reed bunting, great tit, blackbird, mute swan, chaffinch, woodpigeon, song thrush, moorhen, goldfinch, collared dove, grey heron and rook.

No comments:

Post a Comment