Saturday 15 July 2017

WkWT Brandon Marsh :: 15 July 2017

Rain was forecast and so I opted for an early start and hopefully beat the rain. Reports of a green sandpiper at WkWT Brandon Marsh suggested this was the place for today. Due to the early start I was unfortunately on my own. A couple of spots on th windshield as I left Banbury headed for Southam - would the rain get here earlier than forecast?

Arrived on the reserve for just before 8.00am and still dry. Made my way down to Teal and East Marsh Pools where the sandpiper had been reported in the last few days - also reported on River Pool. Saw a juvenile green woodpecker land in a tree, calling loudly as I watched. Green sandpiperNo sign on Teal Poole so crossed to the East Marsh Pool - one person already there and as I sat down I asked whether he had seen the green sand ... he had, just a few minutes before - hopeful!

In about five minutes the green sandpiper [142] appeared on the right side of the island directly in front of the hide - result. Satisfied that today's objective had already been achieved (only 8.15am) I continued watch, picking up sedge and reed warbler, redshank, both male and female blackcap and three little ringed plover.

At around 9.45am I though I would pack up and head back but before I could, the rain started to fall. I spent a good 45 minutes watching and enjoying the Dunnockview but unable to return without getting a little wet. As the rain stopped I made my exit and was back to the car before 11.00am.

Sightings (31) included: black-headed gull, blackbird, blackcap, blue tit, carrion crow, chaffinch, common tern, coot, cormorant, dunnock, gadwall, great spotted woodpecker, great tit, green sandpiper, green woodpecker, grey heron, lapwing, little egret, little ringed plover, magpie, mallard, moorhen, redshank, reed warbler, robin, sedge warbler, swallow, teal, tufted duck, woodpigeon and wren.

No comments:

Post a Comment