Sunday 1 September 2019

Upton Warren :: 31 August 2019

This was my first visit to Upton Warren, Worcestershire Wildlife Trust - I was due to pick up my daughter from a friend's house in Worcester and this was a perfect opportunity to detour.

Curlew sandpiperOn arrival the car park was full and so I parked across the road in the Webbs, Wychbold garden centre car park. I passed the throng of children queuing to play on the inflatable structures on the boating lake. The entrance was through a gate on the right and walking along I found all hides to be empty, until I reached the Avocet Hide. This hide was full and obviously where all the action was to be found.

The first order of business was to locate the curlew sandpiper - this was easy to do as people were having it pointed out as they entered. Common and green sandpipers were also showing well. As AvocetI started to look around I had initially missed the avocet feeding in various spots - a well named hide.

I was then scanning the site to see if I could add the wood sandpiper to my year list and as I did so, I encountered an adult and single juvenile little ringed plover. Eventually I resorted to looking on the far bank of the Flash and sure enough, there it was.

It makes a change for Saturday morning outings to work out! I then relaxed and watched as the c12 curlews departed in three separate groups. The snipe then decided to entertain and were oddly in display mode - late in the year? Fun to watch.

SnipeSnipe
SnipeSnipe

Another reserve to add to those I can think of visiting, and I'm sure I'll be back.

Sightings (26) included: avocet, black-headed gull, canada goose, carrion crow, common sandpiper, coot, curlew, curlew sandpiper, green sandpiper, grey heron, house Martin, lapwing, lesser black-backed gull, little grebe, little ringed plover, mallard, moorhen, pied wagtail, robin, rook, shoveler, snipe, swallow, teal, wood sandpiper and woodpigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment