Saturday 9 January 2021

Balscote Quarry :: 09 January 2021

With Lockdown 3.0 in progress it was a day to stay local. I decided to integrate a drop-in to Balscote Quarry into my daily exercise and on arrival found Iain Brown already in residence. We socially distanced and he let me know that he'd already had jay before I arrived but not much was about - to be fair there wasn't much to see as the water below was completely shrouded in fog.

Before he left he picked out red-legged partridge beyond the feeder area and shortly after they decided the coast was clear to break cover; there turned out to be three.

Red-legged partridge

At the same time we noticed that a female brambling had joined the chaffinches and so I tried to get a photo with both r-l partridge and brambling in. I did the best I could in the murk. A pair of collared dove dropped in and Iain mentioned they are not common on the site. A couple of yellowhammer and a single reed bunting fed with the chaffinches.

Brambling
Brambling

The r-l partridge became even bolder, venturing out as far as the rear feeder and allowing a slightly better shot. A single great spotted woodpecker flew by, almost following the road. Despite waiting for a short while the brambling had disappeared and the male with darkening head colour never showed.

Red-legged partridge

I left to continue my morning exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment