Friday 7 May 2021

Piddington and Borough Hill :: 05 May 2021

On Tuesday evening I was talking with another Banbury birder, Mark Ribbons, as he tried to confirm the precise location of the wryneck at Borough Hill - he was just arriving at site. He was dropping in after visiting Piddington for the two female dotterel and regaled his encounter making it clear it was an unmisable opportunity. So it was decided and I left home at 5.00am the following morning - I had a video call scheduled for 9.00am, some prep work to do and so time was tight.

I parked on Forest Road and made my way down to the bridleway and out along the fields scattering the occasional skylark sitting on the path. I reached the likely spot and scanned to my left and right but didn't locate them so proceeded higher up the field and picked out movement to my right - it turned out to be a female wheatear, then two. I turned and made my way back down the slope and soon picked the dotterel out hunkered down in the field people have described - another life tick and two in a week. As I came level with them I counted a further five wheatear. I took photos and watched as the dotterel started feeding but too soon I had to leave and was home before 8.00am.

Dotterel
Dotterel
Dotterel

Her indoors had a tennis match in the evening and so we had an early dinner - I thought I'd have another go at the wryneck at Borough Hill. This time I arrived and the sun was shining, despite the forecast. When I pitched up there were a few observers (including Mike Pollard) which made locating the bird easier but it wa far from visible with it's head occasionally bobbing into view. Apparently it had been close earlier but (you won't guess what) a dog had just been through - just like Monday. Still there was time. Eventually the bird partially broke cover but still at distance and only briefly as much of the time it fed in the longer grass. Eventually it took to the wing and into the trees to our right. Not the killer photo I'd hoped for but still great to see again.

Just as well I went for these two as the following day there were no sightings reported and it looks like they have moved on.

Wryneck
Wryneck
Wryneck

No comments:

Post a Comment