Thursday 6 May 2021

Balscote Quarry & Borough Hill :: 03 May 2021

I got up early and went looking for little owl in farm fields where a friend had seen one - I didn't connect in the hour I waited. The wind was getting stronger and I decided that I would relocate to Balscote Quarry which on reflection is an odd choicve as there it was even windier and cold. I recorded most of the likely species including two little ringed plover and was entertained by a showy and vocal willow warbler. The greenshank appeared to have moved on.

Willow warbler
Willow warbler

It was still only mid-moring and so I made for Boddington Reservoir to see whether I could reconnect with the grasshopper warbler, or any of the reported species. I was standing in the field listening for the gropper when I saw Nick Truby and his wife approach from the car park. I made my way back to see him and he mentioned that he'd just been to see a wryneck - it had been found at Borough Hill the previous day and I'd missed any reports as I hadn't checked my phone. I abandoned any plan I had and made for Daventry.

It didn't take long to locate the bird as there were a dozen or so people already in attendance. Unfortunately, almost as soon as I got my bins on the wryneck three spaniels tore through flushing the bird into a tree - the owner simply said not to worry as they flushed birds every time they were out ... still a life tick for me.

Eventually the bird reappeared but the rain had started and everyone started drifting off. I stayed long enough to get a photo and retreated before I got soaked - it then rained all afternoon.

Wryneck
Wryneck

No comments:

Post a Comment