Monday 26 July 2021

Balscote Quarry :: 24 July 2021

It had been forecast to rain but none had arrived and so, by late breakfast, I decided to make my way to Balscote Quarry. There were only a few species showing but with numbers of linnet. As I waited movement to my far right caught my eye and turned out to be three roe deer emerging from the scrub. They stayed in the clear, crossing the bowl and then into the hedge beyond.

Roe deer
Roe deer
Roe deer

Shortly after, a pair of brown hares appeared in the bowl. They stayed well-hidden but on a couple of occasions came out into view. No leverets were visible, but the adults were always near scrub and stayed close, so who knows.

Brown hare
Brown hare
Brown hare

While still watching the hares a muntjac deer decided to make a break for it and bounded across the bowl, disappearing into the scrub on my side. Quite a mover!

Brown hare

A pair of whitethroat worked hard, regularly returning to what must have been their nest area and carrying food. Finally, one landed within range and gave me a great close view.

Whitethroat

Eventually the rain arrived and appeared to be set in and so I jumped in the car to head home.

Yellowhammer

When driving along the Oxford Road it became apparent that the rain hadn't fallen here and so instead of turning for the house I continued on and made for a little owl site. I parked up and headed along the track to the usual spot - a single bird showed but just perched in the late morning grey overcast conditions - I wasn't going to get a good photo but took a couple of snaps in any case.

Little owl

I went exploring down the track where we have previously spotted another little owl but couldn’t find anything of any consequence. When I got back to the usual spot, I had juvenile great spotted woodpecker and a juvenile yellow wagtail. As I turned to leave, I picked out another little owl at the base of the tree - it watched as I left for home and lunch.

Little owl

No comments:

Post a Comment