Friday 6 August 2021

Farmoor Reservoir :: 04 August 2021

I was heading to bed when I looked at my phone and discovered that a juvenile purple sandpiper had been spotted at Farmoor Reservoir. It fed in the southeast corner of Farmoor II and appeared to roost on the concrete apron from dusk. Ewan Urquhart described how it had originally found in the early afternoon by Phil Hester (a non-birder and member of Friends of Farmoor). It was a shame that the news didn't come out before the light was already drawing in.

I arose early and made my way down to the reservoir and entered the site through gates from public footpaths. Unfortunately, the bird wasn't in the advertised spot, and I began to worry that it had already moved on. If it was anywhere, I thought it would be on the causeway so headed there. It wasn't along the apron as I walked on but as I made my way across the causeway, I eventually spotted a small dark wader. I got close enough to see it was likely the target bird and carefully made my way close enough for some photos - I needn't have worried as the bird gave exceptional views. I was glad I'd managed to fit in the visit to see this very rare passage through Farmoor Reservoir.

I headed back to the car as I still had to get home for breakfast before heading for work - at the car Dan and Trish Miller arrived and I was able to pass on where the sandpiper had relocated to. I was home before 7am.

Purple sandpiper
Purple sandpiper
Purple sandpiper

1 comment: