Tuesday 21 December 2021

Farmoor Reservoir :: 18 December 2021

I found myself with a couple of hours before lunch and a desire to catch up with a great northern diver - I made for Farmoor Reservoir. The car park was quite busy considering the weather, but it soon became apparent there was a sailing event on. The diver had been reported on F1 from the causeway earlier that morning by Nick Truby and so I made my way there directly. My heart sank as I saw multiple paddleboards making their way around the perimeter - the bird would likely be pushed out or perhaps even have decided to depart, stage left.

I followed a family carrying bins and a camera and soon found the diver out beyond the boarders - the group past and the bird made its way closer in and afforded some closer views. We watched it fish and followed as it made its way to the western end of the causeway. It didn't take long for another couple of paddleboarders to approach sending the diver down and away from the causeway - we watched as the boarders paddled directly at resting birds (great crested grebes and gulls) making them take flight. Any birds near the water’s edge were unable to settle as they were flushed regularly.

A really beautiful bird and I’m glad the usual Saturday curse was not in operation. The great crested grebes were regularly on the move, and I was pleased to see a few of their little cousins fishing nearby too.

Great northern diver
Great northern diver
Great northern diver
Great northern diver
Great northern diver
Great northern diver
Great northern diver
Great northern diver
Great crested grebe
Little grebe

Short and sweet - but well worth the visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment