Tuesday 19 April 2022

Stanwick & Hardwater Lakes :: 18 April 2022

We had planned to go a walk and I'd convinced Charlotte that a trip to Stanwick Lakes would be something different - there was also a long staying glossy ibis to be seen! We didn't rush and by mid-morning Charlotte started to prepare a packed lunch. Unfortunately as she opened the baguettes she cut her finger, right in the crease - it was bad enough to make a short trip to A&E just to make sure it didn't need stitches and to get it dressed. She didn't feel like going for a walk after that.

As mid-afternoon approached Charlotte said she was feeling tired and was going for a lie down and so I jumped in the car and made a dash for Stanwick, parking in the A45 layby. A quick walk to the Treetop hide and I started to scan the area in front of me - it took about 5 minutes but eventually the glossy ibis gave itself up - a year tick. It fed to the left and then across the front of the nearest water, briefly flying to the right.

Glossy ibis
Glossy ibis
Glossy ibis
Glossy ibis

I checked out the other birds but there was nothing else of note. I made my way back to the car and set off in the direction of home. I had been efficient in my use of time and there was now the possibility of a small detour to see the bar-tailed godwits showing on Hardwater Lake - just opposite the Summer Leys reserve, and only a couple of miles out of the way. Again, I parked up in a layby and walked along the verge to the gate overlooking the water. Immediately I could see one then two bar-tailed godwits - another year tick. Something spooked the barwits and other birds and they all took to the wing but circled and soon were back in place. A grey wagtail, little ringed plover and oystercatchers all showed as well as they could from this distance.

Bar-tailed godwit
Bar-tailed godwit

I was soon back on the road and home before three hours was up. Charlotte felt a bit better and hopefully will get to enjoy her second week of the school holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment