Wednesday 8 February 2023

Farmoor Reservoir :: 05 February 2023

My wife had suggested she'd like to see some owls in flight, but my planned trip was replaced by her having a tennis match to play. I opted to pop down to Farmoor Reservoir to see the long-staying female scaup - I'm sure it will depart at some point, and I'd regret not having made the effort.

I started out and met a couple of birders coming the other way who told me that the scaup was showing well from the causeway on F2. There was nothing of particular note on the way there - lots of coot and cormorants. I came across the scaup where it was diving and associating with a handful of tufted ducks. The sun (behind the clouds) was casting the bird into shadow, so I altered my settings and took a few photos, the colour of the light on the water turning out well on a couple.

I decided that as I was here, I should walk around F2 dropping down briefly to the hide near the river. Back on the reservoir I noted a lone common gull and then saw distant snow geese circling the southern end. I eventually got closer and could count c75. I chatted to a chap walking his dog who thought they might be hybrids (greylag and domesticated) - he was soon on his way.

Common gull
Snow goose

It was a brief visit, but 3 miles walked. Glad to have got out and enjoyed the dry weather - you never know what is coming next.

Year List:  134

No comments:

Post a Comment