Sunday 7 February 2021

Balscote Quarry & Souldern Wharf :: 06/07 February 2021

The weekend at last. It seems to take a whole week for these to come around!

I had some housework to do and so we didn't get out until after lunch. We wanted a bit of a walk but decided to pop our head into the Balscote Quarry viewing area before setting off. The brambling were a no show again, but this often happens in the afternoon. The nest of the species were yellowhammer (4), linnet (8), reed bunting (1) and 69 fieldfare almost all of which were in a single flock. There was a surprise coot amongst the mallard (10).

Yellowhammer

On the far bank were two roe deer, feeding under the hedge. Eventually they lay down for a rest - they were in no hurry.

Roe deer

Another couple turned up and was our prompt to leave. We made our way down to the village and then up the bridleway to Manor Farm. We came across a grey wagtail at the farm itself and in the field beside there were redwing (24). Nothing else other than the usual finches and tits.

The following day started fine but cold. A blocked drain ouside gave me something to do early doors and so again it was afternoon before I headed out. I parked by Souldern Wharf and made my way along towards Somerton Deep Lock. I soon came across wigeon (c.480), gadwall (12) and pintail (18). Some of the wigeon reported earlier must have moved on - Iain Brown had counted c.750 in the morning.

Pintail
Pintail

Moving on I had pied wagtail (4) with a single grey wagtail, then three more pied wagtail over. Meadow pipit (3) showed with one landing reasonably close on a barbed-wire fence.

Meadow pipit

Stock dove flew overhead as I appraoched Somerton. I walked back from Deep Lock but didn't add anything new.

No comments:

Post a Comment