Tuesday 2 February 2021

Wroxton & Nether Worton :: 31 January 2021

After rain and sleet on the Saturday we decided to make the most of our exercise walk. We opted to try for a kingfisher in a pool by Wroxton College - the grounds still being closed to visitors. We waited by the pool but we had a no show - even the regular goldcrest by the gate were absent. It was cold but the dampness made it feel even colder - feet were feeling like blocks of ice and so we walked back up the hill, through a flock of sheep. I suggested taking a path back out across the field to our right but Charlotte asked that we keep heading back and have a walk around the village instead. Just as well she did as we soon came across two distant jay, and then a nuthatch just before the gate to Dark Lane.

We continued up the hill along Dark Lane adding goldcrest and coal tit, eventually reaching the school. We continued away from the college and spotted a small flock of what appeared to be goldfinches in the trees to our left. On inspection they turned out to be lesser redpoll - Charlotte had played a blinder!

Lesser redpoll

After lunch I decided that I hadn't had much of a walk and so went to try a section of a route that I'd set up on OS Maps, around Nether and Over Worton. I set out and spotted a group of c.4 buzzard in a field ahead - it was beyond my turn up to Over Worton but I thought I'd have a look. Having crossed the brook I peered round the hedge and counted 24 buzzard and 2 red kite in a single field. There was also 74 starling and 12 lesser black-backed gulls. On the bridge back over the brook a female sparrowhawk passed over, in hot pursuit - it lost the bird and circled round and away.

Heading back to my route I heard a goldcrest call. I watched it feed on flies, showing well. 63 fieldfare in broken flocks passed over.

Goldcrest

On the climb up the slope another red kite cruised by. On reaching the church I watched as two raven called loudly from the treetops. I waited until they moved on, making my way through the churchyard and down the hill.

Raven

In a field on my left and over a ridge, a small flock of 16 redwing fed on the ground. Over a couple of stiles and onto a very wet field - each step picked up more sticky mud on my boots. The route I'd picked up didn't match the path and so I'll have to update my routing map. A grassy field to finish helped remove some of the mud. Shortly after arriving home the rain started again.

No comments:

Post a Comment